Open Hours: Monday to Saturday 10am - 8pm

  • en
  • es
  • fr
  • nl
  • dk
  • de
  • no

What you need to do

If you are travelling to any country in the EU, or to Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland before or after Brexit, you should:

European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC)

Visiting an EU country

UK-issued EHICs will remain valid until the UK leaves the EU, or if your treatment started before exit day.

You can apply for an EHIC on the NHS website.

Your EHIC may not be valid if there is a no-deal Brexit. Check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) travel advice or NHS country guides for the latest information on the country you plan to visit.

An EHIC does not replace travel insurance. You should have both when you travel abroad. For example, if you become unwell or need healthcare while you are abroad, an EHIC will not cover the costs of bringing you back to the UK.

UK nationals visiting Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland

If your visit starts before exit day, your EHIC will remain valid for the duration of your trip.

If your visit starts after Brexit and there is no deal, your EHIC may not be valid.

Pre-existing health conditions

You must tell your insurance company about any pre-existing health conditions you have. Speak to your GP and insurer about how to get the right cover, and how this affects your travel.

Make plans for how to manage your condition when you are abroad. Ask your doctor in the UK for advice before you travel.

Take a health condition identification or letter with you when you travel. This should say what medication you are taking.

Travel insurance

It is important to take out comprehensive travel insurance when you go abroad, both to EU and non-EU destinations. You should continue to buy travel insurance if you are planning to travel after Brexit.

Check that your insurance has the necessary healthcare coverage to ensure you can get any treatment you might need. For example, if you have a pre-existing condition.

If you already have travel insurance, check with your insurer if there will be any changes to how your policy works after Brexit. Speak to your insurance company if you have any questions about what your travel insurance policy covers.

For more information on travel insurance including healthcare cover, visit the Association of British Insurers website.

Lastest Blog Post
Featured Properties